The program that I am attempting to compile is Xmovie-1.9 which is in line
with my latest fad of Multimedia on Linux.

I did a ./configure and it stopped with an error:

make -C libmpeg3
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kantoine/xmovie-1.9/libmpeg3'
gcc -c `./c_flags`  bitstream.c -o i686/bitstream.o
In file included from mpeg3title.h:4,
                 from mpeg3demux.h:4,
                 from mpeg3atrack.h:4,
                 from mpeg3private.h:4,
                 from bitstream.c:1:
mpeg3io.h: In function `mpeg3io_read_char':
mpeg3io.h:86: parse error before `unsigned'
mpeg3io.h:88: `result' undeclared (first use in this function)
mpeg3io.h:88: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
mpeg3io.h:88: for each function it appears in.)
mpeg3io.h: In function `mpeg3io_next_char':
mpeg3io.h:94: parse error before `unsigned'
mpeg3io.h:95: `result' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [i686/bitstream.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kantoine/xmovie-1.9/libmpeg3'

Can I recover from this or is it a fatal problem.

I am keeping notes on all the things that I have success with that I need
for working and display of DVD's and vcd's on linux, plus my photographic
and card readers. When I get as far as I need i'll do a step x step. Must
admit its getting quite long.

To make yourself look truthful one has to lie, as most people
do not want to kmow the truth; but only that which they believe.