Hi,

Here's the personal experience of a newbie, for what it's worth. I tried
a number of external and internal modems which I was told were
Linux-compatible. I had to return them all to the vendor. Finally, I had
good luck with an ActionTec Call Waiting External Modem
(www.actiontec.com).

By the way, I use RH7. In my research, I was told that US Robotics had
some Linux-compatible external modems but you would have to read the
fine print on the box and be sure it does support the kernel you use.
Some Linux-compatible modems (internal or external) supprot newer Linux
kernels only. If you use any of the 2.2 versions, be careful not to buy
what would not help you.

Finally, you may want to avoid USB modems,external or
otherwise.Apparently, some Linux distros (at least earlier versions) do
not support USB modems, although newer versions might.

Good luck.

Iraj

On Fri, 2001-08-31 at 09:15, Jean Sagi wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for a new linux modem for desktop use?
>
> What about an us-robotics? (Iīve been told there are a lot of winmodems of this
> mark)
> What about Haton? (I donīt know how to write it, but is supposed to be good on
> linux).
>
> Any help would be appreciated?
>
> Chucho!
>
> PD: A link to a linux-modem web site would be appreciated too.

Iraj Medifar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]