On Thursday 06 September 2001 17:41, Curtis Rey wrote:
| "In view of the Court of Appeals' unanimous decision that Microsoft
| illegally maintained its monopoly over PC-based operating systems
| -- the core allegation in the case -- the Department believes that
| it has established a basis for relief that would end Microsoft's
| unlawful conduct, prevent its recurrence and open the operating
| system market to competition. Pursuing a liability determination on
| the tying claim would only prolong proceedings and delay the
| imposition of relief that would benefit consumers."
|
| If I were M$ I'd be worried!  This leaves all conduct from then
| 'till now on the table and M$ has pissed off a lot of people since
| the initial rulings.

absolutely right. the story that comes closest to getting it right is
this one:

http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63573,00.html

note that the remedies involve making the api (and therefore such
things as the file formats, because by bundling msft has *made* 'em
part of the api) available to one and all. seems to me that was what
many of us were seeking, is it not? here is the list of remedies, all
of which are part of what justice says it's pursuing:

A ban on any "adverse actions" against PC makers for supporting
competing products.

Uniform Windows licensing and pricing terms to manufacturers.

Flexibility for PC makers in configuring Windows, including the
desktop and boot sequence.

Disclosure of application programming interfaces to developers and
others at the same time Microsoft discloses those interfaces to its
own personnel.

Barring Microsoft from knowingly interfering with the performance of
any non-Microsoft middleware running on the operating system.

A ban on any exclusive dealings -- agreements requiring exclusive
promotion, for instance, of Microsoft platform software.

Establishment of a corporate antitrust compliance officer and
committee to ensure the company follows antitrust laws.

(you can ignore edwin black's cuckoo statement at the bottom; he's
just generally pissed off at the world.)
--
dep

one day, you'll wish it was now.
your wish has been granted.