The problem is most likely that the file you are reading is not a multiple of the
block size.

If for example, you create a temporary file with exact multiples of the block size,
then you won't get an error.

e.g.

dd if=/etc/printcap of=/dev/st0 bs=512 count=4

Then you wont' see any errors, because you've got complete blocks to write.

dump, tar and cpio (and their ilk) will all pad the block out so that it fills the
last block.

dd is not really a great utility for doing backups, apart from anything, you cannot
backup multiple files with it, not unless you
start doing non rewind tape device stuff and index list building, which isn't worth it.

Why don't you want to use tar or cpio?

Gordon