On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:24:03 -0600
Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:47:50 +1130 Mike Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 18 September 2001 14:23, Collins Richey wrote:
> > > I have bash 2.04, and I can't find anyway to get the aliases in
> > the
> > > profile to take effect for normal users.

> > > If, however, I use su, ls is available immediately in color.
> > >
> > > Is this a bash bug, maybe?
> > [snipetty hack]
> >

> > "su"  uses the existing users environment and paths
> >
> > "su -"
> >
> > uses root's bash script
> >

> Yes, but both sets of scripts are identical, namely both .bash_profile
> and .bashrc in both /home/collins and /root are
>
> #!/bin/bash -ls
> source /etc/profile
>
> The alias ... statements take effect only when I use su or login
> directly as root.
>

> OK, here's the problem.  Direct login as root or normal user works
> aok.  xterm under xfce, or konsole under kde ignores the aliases
> during initial login; you have to manually issue source /etc/profile.
> It's not just my profile - any aliases you put in the profile will be
> ignored.
>
> How can I slay this beast?
>

> --
> Collins Richey

Interesting, on my system (vectorlinux 2.0):

/etc/profile has exports and paths that work and an alias that doesn't
/etc/bashrc has exports and aliai that work
~/.bashrc sources /etc/bashrc
/etc/profile is not sourced

Try putting the aliai in /etc/bashrc and source it from ~/.bashrc

--
Chris Kassopulo