On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:03:59AM -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
>On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 09:19:30AM -0500, Rick Sivernell wrote:
>> Talking with my son last night, he swears that there is no other OS that can
>> do what M$ or XP can do. Finally after our conversation is about over and I

(quoted text reformatted to fit 80 characters).
>The best thing with windows users is benign neglect. Let Bill Gates solve
>their problems for them. In my house, I just don't support windows anymore.
>I don't (re)install and I don't troubleshoot the other members PC's, unless
>the problem involves the linux run network. One has finally shifted to
>linux for her on line activities (windows just stopped working). Another
>had to use linux since windows finally just refused to reinstall on his
>computer. Another would dump windows if not for AOL mail services. If any
>of your household got the new worm with IE, don't clean it up for them. It
>makes your life a lot easier.  BTW, XP sounds like MS's first adventure
>into a good desktop OS, but, who knows.

If I tell my wife I won't fix her Windows box life gets pretty nasty around
here (probably because of all my bitching, swearing, and general
frustration when I have to fight this idiocy).

Even if XP is more secure, etc. the new M$ licensing policies should go a
long way towards getting people off Windows.  Do they really want to have
to pay yearly renewal fees or they can't run their existing systems?  I
have friends who get everything done they need on WfWG 3.1 or even
WordPerfect for DOS, and don't want to pay a yearly Microsoft Tax.  Do you
want to have to call Microsoft Registration to get keys while reinstalling
Windows at 2am on a weekend?

Bill

A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
                -- William S. Burroughs