On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Kurt Wall wrote:

> Hi, list,
>
> Anyone out there know of a way on a stock Red Hat (or other) system to
> generate MD5-compatible encrypted passwords for use with useradd
> (see useradd -p)? I've hacked up a little program to call crypt(3),
> but would prefer to use MD5 passwords.
>
> If you're interested, I can post the password encrypter.

 I'm interested in the topic as a whole.  It appears as though I'll be
managing more and more user email accounts.  I've tried this before but
ended cutting/pasting 50 plus `mkpasswd` to "passwd username".  Don't want
to have to do this every time.  Searching on google, I've come across some
hits, though I don't know their value.

http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2000-November/007440.html

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/4/lev3/32/pid/208/qid/70606

a somewhat interesting alternative to useradd

http://digital.oit.edu.tw/sources/pdadduser/