On Monday 01 October 2001 14:58, Tony Alfrey wrote:

> make modules_install:   OK until the very end where I think it runs
> depmod -a.  The list of modules with "unresolved symbols" looks like

[snip]

Almost for sure (being a caldera derived kernel) the offender is
/etc/modules.conf.

remove all path statements from the top of that file. eg path[usb]

you can, safely, neuter that file altogether to get a kernel made and add
back the relevant bits later. Not a recommended procedure but, hell, nothing
wrong in reducing noise levels first time out.

there is *still* an unresolved issue with depmod -a that requires it to be
used AFTER you reboot the new kernel. This 'problem' is so endemic that all
distros i am aware of automatically fire that command out at boot time
without your help. The ways they do that are sometimes wondrous to behold.

So, if modules are your only problem you will be 'ok' to reboot on a now
(functionally compiled) kernel. It is quite likely in any case, that because
this is your first go, you've probably 'missed' selecting / compiling a
module or two and depmod / modprobe will scream regardless.

The bottom line safety net is to leave an intact kernel 2.4.0 kernel image in
/boot, ensure lilo does indeed point to it in some way, and, secondly retain
/lib/modules/2.4.0  Everything else is playtime, and you'll be reasonably
bomb proof.