On Thursday 27 September 2001 17:25, Chang wrote:
> In Caldera Openlinux, we have /etc/sysconfig/daemons directory to conrol
> what daemons to be loaded at boot-up. What's the corresponding location
> in redhat?

There is. And there isn't.

Redhat stick to the 'old' convention of using Sxx to start and Kxx to kill a
service in a given runlevel. (more later)

Caldera do not use Kxx anyything. In fact, all runlevels in Caldera except #2
are 100% identical, Yes, that includes 5 : the gui, surprise surprise. With
some extreme minors, even runlevel 2 is identical.

Caldera relies heavily on a well crafted script firing out of
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions to work the magic in /etc/sysconfig/everything
There are some very minor typos in the pcmcia and diald config files but the
rest is excellent stuff. The work done here was as visionary (at that time)
as their equally excellent /etc/modules/default way of handling boot time
kernel modules.

Regardless of these distro differences the controlling element is /etc/rc.
You can imagine it is very different in content between the two, because in a
redhat system, it is used to KILL services ala the Kxx mentioned above. In a
Caldera system the /etc/sysconfigs you mention are relied on instead (and a
slightly different /etc/rc/init/pick-a-script)

Having said all that !!! redhat too use /etc/sysconfig, extensively, but not
in such a uniform or reliant manner. It unfortunately depends on the specific
'thing' you're trying to control and what the sys-programmer had for
breakfast on Wednesday.

Had Caldera followed thru with a useable gui, there method may have
triumphed. As it is now, KDESTART->System->SysV-init is where you need to be.