--- David Aikema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [root@david david]# hdparm -d /dev/hdd
> /dev/hdd: No such file or directory

In which case it's telling the simple truth that you
don't have a /dev/hdd node?

> > here is a list of what I think are relevant
> modules loaded on my machine

> near the same number of modules.... the only ones
> that I can see that might
> be relevant are scsi_mod and ide_scsi

this is true as so far as connecting to (say) /dev/sr0

the problem you have is that the hdparm utility is not
needing any of that (it's irrelevant whether they are
loaded for that purpose, or not). I supplied my lsmod
just to make sure we were both on the same planet.

you're problem appears to be at a much lower level
than the drivers behind /dev/hdd (/dev/sr0) and more
likely to be simply that you don't have hdd in the
node tree.