Forwarded from a newsgroup, but I'd like to know what you all think.. I've
copied the author. Please continue to copy on replies...

,--------------- Forwarded message (begin)

 Subject: Which One?
 From: Kurtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:44:35 -0500

 I am a SysAdmin, but mainly management, and in an NT/Exchange
 environment. I will never get good at Linux as a result of hands on,
 day to day work.  I have experience only with RedHat but have not used
 the GUI except for when I have to, as I want to learn the
 command-line.  With books open in front of me, I have solved problems
 for which Linux was the solution, such as when my ISP sent out an
 upgrade which nuked my MS Internet Connection Sharing for my home
 network.  I set up RH 6.2 as the gateway and downloaded Roaring
 Penguin PPPoE.  It took me a month to figure it out, with my whole
 family yelling at me to restore their desktop Internet access.  Talk
 about surly users.  I think Linux has a place, even in today's
 coporate Microsoft environments.  I learned how to set up and manage
 newsgroups, for example.  I am having a lot of fun doing it.

 I sense that to learn what it is all about, I need to practice a lot,
 compiling and recompiling kernels (I don't know anything about
 programming beyond the Hello World stuff; basic shell scripts) and
 figuring out how to download/install different applications.  I'd like
 to learn VI, Emacs etc., as well.  In order to be innovative and try
 to introduce some features that Linux offers in my work environment,
 I'd like to be able to use the NSA secure kernel.

 RH basically sets itself up, which is good.  But having described what
 I want to do I'd like to solicit feedback on which variety of Linux I
 should try, and maybe specific "projects" that I could work on to get
 a good, well-rounded view of Linux.  I could use either an old laptop,
 or P-133 in the corner from work.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

 Kurtis

`--------------- Forwarded message (end)

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: http://linux.nf  Admin: http://hunley.homeip.net

# Okay, what on Earth is this one supposed to be used for?
        2.4.0 linux/drivers/char/cp437.uni