Jerry McBride wrote:

> Well... That's about what I've done. I've got the server reliably online via
>dhclient. I have to figure out how to get my fixed IP firewall to work correctly with
>dhcp.
>
> Could you give me a "heads up" if I need to set anything in dhclient.conf to allow
>for my intranet?

Hmmm.  I'm not sure what your setup looks like.  Most cable users have a
gateway/firewall machine using dhcp to the ISP.  That's the client running on the
gateway box, to the outside.  You could run a dhcp server (on the gateway or anywhere
else on the inside) or
not, up to you.  I tend to run my own dhcpd inside, unless there's a reason not to for
a particular machine.

If you have specific questions or want to describe your network, feel free to ask.
But the dhclient facing the ISP doesn't need anything special.

> I'm debating on buying the dhcp book, but at $44.00 a copy it looks like a longgggg
>debate. For now I'll be tracking down usenet, inet and faqs that relate to dhcp... I
>haven't found a tutorial or similar yet, but I haven't quit looking.
>
> For something that's as common as dhcp, it's amazing there's so little on it in
>beginners' documentation. After all, I wasn't born knowing it... :')

Well, the people who wrote the software wrote the book and provide consulting.  So
you've got the source, the man pages, and the RFCs.  If that isn't enough, more will
cost you.

I don't think that's too unreasonable.  But looking at many of the options I don't use
(especially related to dynamic DNS and the new failover capability), I think there
would be a lot of trial and error to get them working.  Fortunately the simple case is
adequate.

<(mostly OT) war story>
I was running dhcp off a dsl modem for a Win2k LAN (with a Linux domain controller).
I eventually switched the dhcp server to the linux box (and gave it a static IP) for 2
reasons:

- The modem's maximum lease time was short enough that unplugging it for a few minutes
(reorganizing) would cause at least one Win2k to pick a new, default IP when its lease
ran out.  Since the default IP was unrelated to my subnet the machine would essentially
stop networking.

- There are some WINS settings that can be passed from the dhcp server that the modem
didn't support (things like using a specific WINS server vs. broadcasting).
</war story>

Dave