On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 08:29:49AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On December 29, Kevin O'Gorman enlightened our ignorance thusly:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 08:23:30PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > On December 29, Kevin O'Gorman enlightened our ignorance thusly:

> > > You know, of course, that S10named is just a symlink to
> > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/named? What happens if you invoke this script
> > > directly? You can also edit it, add "set -x" at the top for debugging
> > > output, and then evaluate the differences between the two invocations
> > > to see what's going wrong?
> > >
> > > Kurt
> >
> > I did that, and it's no where near as helpful as one would hope.  For
> > one thing, the differences first show up during the sourcing of
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, which is (1) common to pretty much all
> > of the SysV files, and (b) not causing problems for any of the others.
>
> Nothing terribly useful in here. What's in /var/log/messages? I'm
> sure that somehow you've fubared the configuration. I seem to recall
> an issue with OL 2.4 that the SysV script did not properly handle
> /var/run/named.pid, which led to all sorts of interesting problems
> starting and stopping BIND, particularly if you mixed usage of the
> SysV scripts and direct invocation of the BIND.
>
> Kurt

Nothing at all is in /var/log/messages, at least as refers to named.
Once I get it started, it occasionally logs things, but there's nothing
about the failure to start.

If it matters, I think I set it up with webmin.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Life is short; eat dessert first!"