On January 04, Dave Anselmi enlightened our ignorance thusly:
> Tim Wunder wrote:
>
> > Are you looking for the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable?
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path to libs>:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> The linux loader, ld, keeps its own list of library paths so this tends not to be

In /etc/ld.so.conf, correct.

> necessary.  But that means you have to run ldconfig after installing any new
> libraries (which any well behaved package manager should handle for you).

Correct.

<quibble>
However, LD_LIBRARY_PATH becomes very handy for running apps when you
don't have root access (for ldconfig, for example) or for using
libraries not installed in locations about which ld.so knows.
</quibble>

You will be misunderstood by everyone.