On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:29,Mike Andrew scribed:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:29, Robert L. Hemus wrote:
> > Tn the step by steps to install a CDROM RW in step 2 it says you add
> >     "hd?=ide-scsi to the kernel line in your menu.lst file."
>
> the ? means use the letter b,c or d. Ie whichever is your cd ide drive.
>
> PS:
>
> IF you are running a 2.4 kernel the append is not necessary. Instead, you
> *could* edit /etc/rc.local and type the magic words
>
> /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi

Unfortunately this is distro dependent, or would seem so as in Suse the cdrom
drive I want as scsi is not seen as scsi until the append is inserted. Also
the cdrecoder is appended in lilo as a default. Mandrake acts differently
again.

--
Keith Antoine aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161