Thanks for all the responses.  Since I didn't have any Linux
partitions set up anyway, ext2/3 didn't play right away.  I
just needed any partition space.  Ended up paying for
PartitionMagic <frown>.  Got the partition (formatted to ext3,
BTW) and everything went smooth from there.  Even using the W2k
booter to fire up Linux!

Cooking with gas now :)

Cheers,
Nate