--- Tim Wunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was thinking that your .xsession-errors file might contain a clue,
> but that
> doesn't come into play until you log in, I think...

Correct.

> It IS possible that there's something specific to gdm and X 4.2.0
> that's
> causing the problem. Because a file hasn't changed doesn't mean that
> something within it can't cause a problem with a new program.

Yea, i agree.  Unfortunately, since 4.2.0 has only been out a couple
days, i doubt i'll find much info right now.  I was hoping that someone
else on the list might have had success with it & gdm.

> When you issue startx from the command line, nothing in gdm affects X
> and it
> works for you. Entering runlevel 5 and using gdm causes you a problem.
> It
> seems logical that the problem is within gdm.

Ayup.

> I rather doubted fonts and the config file (unless whatever command
> invokes
> gdm specifies a config file that has a problem within it), but threw
> them out
> as potential problem areas. The key here is that startx works fine,
> gdm
> doesn't. It might be worth trying another GUI login manager to see if
> the
> problem persists. If it does, you're back to square one.

Yea, i guess i can switch to kdm or xdm.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Time to go home.

=====