--- Mike Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:34, Net Llama wrote:
>
> > Oh gawd no.  Kudzu is the biggest flaming POS i've come across in
> all of
> > Linux.  I've stopped counting the number of boxes that its locked
> up,
> > fubarred or othewise rendered useless.
>
> The part of kudzu I am impressed with is it's auto-detection of added
> /
> removed hardware during boot up. Particularly sound. Like similar

I don't pretend to (want to) know how kudzu performs its 'magic', but if
i had to guess its not that impressive of a feat. Just creating a
database of stuff like lspci and then comparing it at each bootup would
allow the box to 'find' new hardware.

> Obviously, whoever is writing kudzu is maintaininga  data base of
> quirks and
> features of each device as encountered. better he does, than I have
> to.

But he's not doing such a great job of it.  I've seen quite alot of
hardware get mis-identified.

> Sour grapes Llllama, auto detection aint that tuff, hell, the
> unmentionable
> os has had it since 1995, so it's been a long time coming. If kudzu
> aint that
> good, there has to be a better one, real soon now. It's needed.

I dunno.  I realize this isn't the univeral answer, or the popular one,
but i'm of the the school that i'd rather 'detect' and configure my own
hardware.  Makes for a much easier kernel building experience down the
road.  Now if kudzu was somehow extended so that it worked its 'magic'
into a kernel config proces (auto-populating all the relevant choices),
that would amaze me.  Auto-Loading a tulip module is boring.

=====