On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:54:43AM -0800, Net Llama wrote:

> --- Tim Wunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Net Llama wrote:
> > > My understanding is that defunct processes are zombies, and can't be
> > > cleaned up with a reboot.
> >
> > Do you mean can't be cleaned up *without* a reboot?
> > Under AIX, defuncts process can only be cleaned up by a reboot, AFAIK.
>
> Yea, that was a typo.  I meant "without" not "with".

But zombies are just processes that died, but have not been
harvested by a 'wait' call.  Init does that all the time, so
zombies should not be children of init, or at least not for long.
They are probably children of some other process which is
not doing waits, but will finally die when the parent dies.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Life is short; eat dessert first!"