--- "David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 06:39:14 -0800 (PST)
> begin  Net Llama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:
>
> > Do you happen to know the syntax for this?  I'm looking at both
> files
> > and not seeing any variable for DISPLAY.
>
> in sshd_config:
> X11Forwarding yes
> X11DisplayOffset 10
>
> the X11DisplayOffset tells you what the first number will be, i.e.,
> mine
> will be 10:0.

Ahhh...i always wondered what that meant.  The X11Forwarding part i
knew.

> in ssh_config:
> ForwardX11  yes
>
> So if you're going from HostA to HostB, check HostA's ssh_config file
> (ForwardX11 no is the default), then check the HostB sshd_config file.
>
> Again, X11Forwarding no is the default.

All of that checks out. I made sure to set that stuff up beforehand.
Still, no go.  I ssh from boxA to boxB, run whatever, and it appears on
the monitor for boxB.
But wait, this only gets weirder.
If i reboot boxA, type "xhost +", then SSH into boxB, and try to run,
say, an xterm, it appears on boxB (bad).  If I log out, run "xhost +"
again (on boxA), and then SSH back into boxB (from boxA), I can run an X
app just fine, and it appears on boxA.
Why should I need to run 'xhost +' twice?  I know there has to be
something i'm missing here (beyond the inherent security issues
involved).

> As for access controls, I'm talking xhost here.  If you fire up X with
> the
> -ac option, or you run xhost +, then access controls are turned off.
> Type
> xhost with no arguments and it will tell you what, if any, are your
> access
> controls.  But if you can suddenly pop up a box on the other host
> without
> first logging into X and turning off access controls, then they are
> off.
> Not good unless you want some prankster like me getting your attention
> by
> running a quick script that puts 1000 iterations of xeyes on your
> screen.

Ahhh...ok.  Yea, i was aware of that command, i just never connected the
description with the name.  OK, so what would you recommend?

The thing that I don't understand is why i'm having so many problems.
When i run through this routine on any box at work, it works, no
xhost'ing needed.

thanks for your help.

=====