begin  Michael Hipp's  quote:
| Something is continually strobing my hard disk about 1/second all
| the time I'm logged into KDE. Seems excessive.
|
| Is this "normal"? How could I track down which process is doing it?

first, what hardware are you running? how do you have swap configured?
what filesystem are you using?

second, open a konsole window and run top. look to see what if
anything is sucking resources (i have suspects based on experiences
here, but i'll not offer 'em up just yet), as well as its appraisal
of what's going on with memory and swap.

--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;