On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:58:12PM -0800, Ienup Sung wrote:
> Robert,
>
> What did you mean by the "sensible advice" in your email and why?

> ] > Are you then also think that all other people in this mailing list and
> ] > other communities also must not see and or use any of the codes under
> ] > GPL?
> ]
> ] That hadn't occurred to me, but is sensible advice. (Of course, this
> ] wouldn't apply to all cases, only where it was likely that non-GPLed
> ] implementation would be likely needed, such as an advanced input method
> ] framework for X)

If you read the sources to one implementation, and write (or modify)
another, you could potentially unconciously commit copyright infringement,
by copying details of the first into the second. Not reading the first
source is an absolute defense.

Now, it actually doesn't matter what the licenses were; you could
potentially be at legal fault for copying details from an X licensed
programs to a GPL'ed program, for not properly attributing copyright.
While it is a valid legal worry in this case, assuming you read the
source but didn't copy the design or code, the odds you'll have to
worry about anything is miniscule.

--
David Starner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-