Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> True, if we are going to make changes, then let's introduce the file system
> that has UTF-8 filenames only.  This just requires one flag that indicates all
> file names on this filesystem are UTF-8.  Simple and effective.

I'm not sure I understand the function of this flag. Why not just have
mount options that let you specify whether to convert file names, and
if so from which encoding to which encoding?

Typically, for a local file system you would specify not to use
conversion, and users would be free to use whatever encoding they want
(including file names that contain "\377").

Edmund
-