On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Christoph Singer wrote:
> 3. I deleted encoding=utf-8 from my .vimrc and decided to try not to leave
> "termencoding" empty but to set it to "utf-8". And now, it works perfectly!
>
> In summary what I did:
>
> - compiled with --enable-multibyte
> - added "set termencoding=utf-8" to .vimrc

The "set termencoding=utf-8" part should *NOT* be necessary!
This is not an acceptable solution. Vim should detect the terminal
character set automatically from the locale.

Please verify, whether you have really successfully set a UTF-8
locale. In particular, does "locale charmap" output "UTF-8"
as the encoding of the current locale? If not, make sure that
no LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL is overriding your LANG setting and that
there is really the selected locale installed in /usr/lib/locale/
("locale -a" for a list of normalised locale names).

More information:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#activate

Markus

-