On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> > > "want" isn't the same as "need"
> >
> >   People want it so that there's a need for it.
>
> no - you're misusing the word.

 All right. As a native speaker, you must be much better in telling
a subtle difference of two words than I am.

> If people need something, they'll sit down and do the work.
> If people want something, they'll sit back and demand that someone else do
> it (as on this mailing list).

  Why do you think they 'sit back and demand' (quoting you) instead of
doing it themselves?  Because they cannot do it?  I'm sure all the people
who asked the default vim package to support UTF-8 are technically
well-versed to do the work. (at least, they can compile vim with
whatever option they want although they may not know how to package it
for Debian). They asked the package maintainer to do the work (which is
very trivial) not because they cannot do it (for their own need and use,
they can just compile it) but because doing so would benefit those who
cannot do the work and would help spread UTF-8.  In this case, there
isn't  any technical hurdle to overcome. There's only a 'philosophical'
difference as to whether UTF-8 is a necessity or not in the minimal Vim
package. So, what they've been doing is make their case to the maintainer.

  Jungshik Shin

-