Pablo Saratxaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Thanks. But what if I want to convert to the locale charset with
> > transliteration? Is that possible with iconv?
>
> Add //TRANSLIT to target encoding name.
>
> But you you need to tell the encoding, "iconv -t //TRANSLIT" doesn't work.
> iconv -t `locale charset`//TRANSLIT

That's `locale charmap`, in fact. I keep making the same mistake.

> does, howerver (I supose any system with a working shell command "icon"
> also has a working shell command "locale")

But if you get iconv by installing libiconv, you might not have a
"locale" command.

The use of //TRANSLIT is a relatively new (and non-standard!) addition
to iconv, so perhaps nobody noticed that it has the side-effect of
making it less useful to omit the -t option. It would be good to have
"iconv -f utf-8 -t //TRANSLIT" or "iconv -f utf-8 --translit" work,
maybe.

Edmund
-