>On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 12:30:34PM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> > One cannot make the assumption that the files on disk are written in the
> > same locale that you're running under.
>
>There's no other assumption you can make. There are hundreds of
>encodings out there, and the only way Abiword can know what my prefered
>encoding is by asking me - i.e. the locale.

Your locale doesn't mean anything other than perhaps you'd like to save new
text documents in this locale. Running `LOCALE=utf-8 ./abiword` will *not*
give *any* insight as to the locale of /etc/passwd or any other pre-existing
file. At best it might be a hint that should be taken very lightly.

> > Hell, you might've gotten them from
> > someone who wrote it in iso-8859-1 (god forbid anyone use that locale
>any
> > more...).
>
>God forbid anyone use ISO-8859-3, or KOI8-R, or EUC-JP, or ... Dealing
>with multiple encodings on the same disk has always been the problem of
>the user.

Precisely. Hence the encoded-text dialog box. Since you seem to have made my
point for me, I'll stop here...

> > AbiWord will assume ASCII text by default, just like it always has,
>
>No one's arguing the interpretation of octets 00-7F. But what do you do
>when an octet > 7F appears?

That's where the "auto-detection" attempt that I talked about earlier kicks
in, but it's certainly not foolproof. It is, however, a helluva lot smarter
than iconv_open(getenv("LOCALE")) ...

> > If you want Abi to read encoded text
> > via some mechanism and Abi *can't* auto-detect the encoding, then use
>the
> > encoded-text dialog and specify the encoding manually.
>
>As I said in my reply, I tried that. It work once, and then it doesn't
>work anymore. If I start up Abiword, go to file, open, change the
>selector to Encoded Text, select the file, select UTF-8, the abiword opens
>the file up with garbage.

Then please file a different bug saying that "even if I specify utf-8 as my
encoding things are screwed up" - don't complain about abi not using your
LOCALE as the end-all-be-all determiner. It's my job to fix bugs (if they
are indeed bugs, which i determined your original post was not), not
back-derive meaning from incomplete bugreports and to split things up into
"what you meant"... Feel free to submit patches to correct the erroneous
behavior.

Oh, and this is what the "Comments" box in bugzilla is for. Emailing me
personally basically flaming my decision is both rude and inappropriate.

Dom