On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 05:29:57PM -0800, Brian Stell wrote:
> What is the point of an app using Unicode if the app only
> supports fonts for European scripts? Why not just use iso8859-1
> or cp1252?

Because I need Esperanto and Icelandic and Old German characters, but
not Japanese/Indic/Chinese. Duh.

Pretty much no character outside MES-3 has any meaning to me. Whether
a Chinese ideogram or a question mark appears doesn't matter to me. It
matters less to my father, my sister or my grandfather.

> What sho?ld hap?en if the un?code da?a has a c?de po?nt not
> in the f?nt? A bla?k or a ques?ion-ma?k? Ve?y unplea?ant f?r
> the rea?er.

Um, all those characters replaced with question marks are in ASCII. Come
up with an English example with the question marks replacing characters
from outside MES-3 that would actually make more sense to a native
English speaker if the question marks were replaced by characters. (You
may replace English with any other language completely covered by MES-3,
if you want.)

> Apps benefit when the system makes support for multingual
> (input/output/fonts) easy for all languages.

I don't see this obsession with multilingual fonts. Few enough net fonts
cover ASCII, though a handful claim a full international character set
(i.e. CP1252.) Fonts with minimal coverage are a fact of life. Deal.

> Half solutions may help in the western world but I can
> certainly see why people outside the western world are
> concerned about Unicode when one hears half solutions
> like these.

So instead of half solutions, many ten percent solutions or one
percent solutions are advocated. Right.

Full Unicode solutions are not easy, and in some cases not possible.
Terminal emulators are limited in capability, and screen sizes are
limited. If it annoys you that a 12 pixel font only covers MES-3, you're
welcome to draw the others; but many scripts just don't scale to 12
pixels. If you need a script that can't be handled by a font size, pick
a bigger font size. If a font just doesn't cover your characters, you're
welcome to draw in the rest, but there's only limited time in the day,
and if the font creator decided he wasn't capable or interested in
drawing a character, that's his choice.

A MES-3 solution handles "German and English Sounds", "The Esperanto
Teacher", "Old High German" and the rest of the stuff I work on, hence I
prefer it to an ISO-8859-1 solution. Maybe it's a half solution; but a
half solution covers a whole lot more problems than a ten percent
solution. A 100 percent solution won't be here until at least Buhid and
Shavian are part of Unicode; need we wait until then to start building
Unicode tools?

--
David Starner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each