On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:54:11PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:31:40PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >Is it generally important or useful to be able to change language mid-
> > >sentence?  (It's much simpler to store a single language for a whole data
> > >element, and it's much easier to render.)
> >
> > Depends on what you're doing. It can be useful in a word-processor, but
> > in something like Ogg tags it's generally not nessecary.
>
> What about in something like lyrics?  (Which aren't going in Ogg tags;
> I'm asking for future Ogg reference.)
>
> > >One of them appears to consider Unicode
> > >currently useless for real-world data exchange in CJK, and believes this
> > >to be a consensus among Asian users.
> >
> > A lot of Japanese users believe this, and a few Chinese. Most Chinese
> > seem to be happy, and I've never heard a Korean complaint.
>
> Is there any justification for this?

Hmm.  Round-trip between Unicode and JIS and EUC-JP is guaranteed,
apparently ... so I can't see any real reason for this belief.  You need
to know the language in some cases, but before you needed to know the
encoding.  That's an improvement.  (If the "selectors" which were just
mentioned allow selecting languages for single characters, then there'll
be even less need to be able to change the language mid-sentence.)

--
Glenn Maynard