On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:18:36AM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [The German Fraktur font of Latin being unreadable to English and many
> modern German readers.]

If modern German used this font, and I wanted to mix German and English,
then I'd definitely want a way to make sure the right font could be used
for both, if that's what the user wanted.

The important goal is to make sure users in other languages aren't so
annoyed with some lack within the spec that they go miles out of it to
get what they want.

I'm still not certain of the exact cause of, for example, EUC-JP and
Shift-JIS ending up in ID3V2 tags.  I'm getting the impression that
Japanese programmers who wanted Japanese-capable editors didn't use the
library, and ignored the UTF-8 spec more for political reasons ("I don't
like Unicode") than practical ones.  (With Japanese encodings, you still
can't embed some characters in a Chinese font.) Another possibility is
that they did use the library, but the library didn't perform the
appropriate conversions (and they couldn't be bothered to fix it to use
an encoding they didn't like to begin with.)

Either way, having a stable library that does the appropriate
conversions will probably go a long way to keeping that from happening
again with Ogg tags.

--
Glenn Maynard