: Hi, I have a basic GNU/Linux system (kernel 2.4.17, glib 2.2.4, no X,
 : bash 2.05a) and I would like to convert it or reinstall it as a 100%
 : UTF-8 system. I'm using the Linux console and I'm aware of its UTF-8
 : support.

I have written a small HOWTO that could help you:
http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/debian-utf8
It is somewhat debian specific, but the part about console
should be applicable everywhere.

If you are using bash, you should patch realine library with multibyte
support:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/linux/patches/i18n.php

 : I would like to know where I can find a valid French keymap with euro
 : for the UTF-8 mode of the keyboard driver (to be sure that the over 0x7F
 : chars get converted to the right UTF-8 values), if it exists and makes

does the french keyboard layout use dead keys? If not, you are pretty
safe, if it does, you need to patch the kernel (see the HOWTO).
Write your own UTF-8 keymap - it is not difficult, I wrote Slovak
and Russian ones.

 : sense (I assume that the keyboard driver in UTF-8 mode converts over
 : 0x7f chars in a pretty mechanical way). With the same idea, I'm looking
 : for a good 512 glyphs font for the Linux console. What is the best way

try http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/fonty-rg/ - it is
a set of console linux fonts for different encodings, including
UTF-8.

 : to convert my man pages and my info pages to UTF-8 (iconv, recode...)?
 : BTW, could those pages be installed directly in UTF-8 through the glibc
 : locale system? In terms of glibc locale, should I use the
 : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (should it be fr_FR.utf8@euro ?) from li18nux.org or
 : generate mine with localedef even if I have a bucket load of

I am using en_GB.UTF-8 generated by localedef, and it work nicely
(the UTF-8 part, not the localized messages, of course)

 : warnings/errors (locale made for ISO-8859-15 charset...)? How bash2.05a,
 : ncurses 5.2 and glibc2.2.4 are going to deal with it? What are the

you need curses compiled with multibyte support (binary incompatible
with normal curses), and compile your applications against it
(ditto for slang).

 : commands that would bother me if their utf8 support does not exit or is
 : a kind of broken? (I reckon less, man, info, more...)

less works nicely. Midnight commander is rather broken, if you
make it look at files with multibyte characters.
lynx does not compute line length correctly and higlights
incorrect parts of text (acceptable for languages with little
percentage of multibyte characters, like Slovak, blatantly wrong
for Russian).
links does not support UTF-8
vim, mutt work perfectly