Thank you for the note, Owen and Bruno.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The path to adding full beyond-the-BMP support to Pango is
> pretty straightforward. (I'm a little suprised that it doesn't
> sort of work now for TrueType fonts, but I haven't tested
> it at all.)

 So, what I wrote about 'UTF-32 cleanness' was not the case. There are
some libraries that support BMP only for the momemnt. As for Pango,
I had the same thought as yours. I mean, for truetype fonts, I thought
it would work as it is.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Jungshik Shin writes:
> > kwin(in KDE 3.x) can't handle non-BMP characters in the title
> > bar of windows.
>
> The cause is probably that Qt's internal string representation is
> based on UCS-2.

  Aha.....

> They fear to switch to UCS-4 because of the memory
> consumption.

 They don't have to as Win32 and Java showed. If they're
worried about the memory consumption, they can just use UTF-16 instead
of UCS-4/UTF-32.  Win32 and Java showed that it's relatively easy (at
least much less complicated than supporting traditional variable length
encodings) to modify APIs to support UTF-16(UCS-2 + surrogate pairs to
represent non-BMP characters) instead of UCS-2.

  Jungshik