On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Jim Z wrote:

Jim,

> However, there are issues. After those changes
> when I logged into Japanese EUC locale, everything
> is displayed in English. :( So was for Japanese
> UTF-8 locale. Is that because the system couldn't
> find the resources?

 Have you checked what's in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and ~/.i18n?
Why don't you make both of them clean and see what you get?
Also make sure that you installed kde-i18n-Japanese package
for KDE?  In my case, both Gnome and KDE came up nicely in
Japanese.

> I didn't check and made sure
> that the locale.dir was modified (I'll check again).
> Also, in UTF-8 for Japanese mode, there is no
> Japanese input (Shift-space bar).

 As already noted by others, kinput2 has to be launched under
ja_JP.EUC-JP. Certainly, this has to be fixed.

> In general, looks like UTF-8 works on Lunix for CJK;

 There are still some issues (input methods as you found,
localized man pages).  Localized man pages are mostly in legacy encodings
and it's hard to figure out how to make them work in UTF-8 locale(if
at all possible). 'man', 'less' and 'groff' all do things differently
(when it comes to interpreting LC_* and LANG environment variables) and
they interact with each other in a intricate way. At least, I think 'man'
has to be fixed to either call setlocale(LC_MESSAGES,...) directly or
to use the SUS-provisioned order of resolving LC_*/LANG env. variables.
(i.e. 1. LC_ALL 2. LC_XXXX 3. LANG)  At the moment, even 'LC_ALL=C man
xyz' doesn't give me man pages in English, let alone 'LC_MESSAGES=C'
when LANG is set to ko_KR.UTF-8.  Note that LANG should be given the
lowest precedence in the locale resolution and LC_ALL should be at the
top. Certainly, man doesn't honor that order.

  A couple of years ago, we discussed how to tag(if we decide
to tag them) the encoding used in man pages, but it got nowhwere. A
reasonable approach appears to be to conver them all to UTF-8 (assuming
groff UTF-8 support will come along soon).

> however, there is no way for general users to do what
> they intent to do.

  According to what I heard on this list, SuSe 9.1
offers UTF-8 locales for all languages as an alternative to traditional
encodings so that SuSe users should have no problem there.
Mandrake 9.0 seems to do it, but it doesn't work out of box
(I have to make some modifications) as far as I can tell.

> Your help is appreciated and I would like to see your
> fixes get into near future builds so all can benefit.

  My changes to XFree86 have gotten into CVS of XFree86 so that
I guess it'll be included in upcoming 4.3.0 release. With increasing
use of Xft/fontconfig and client-side fonts, the importance of
my patch(to X11 locale) will diminish.

  Jungshik Shin