Jungshik Shin wrote:

strongly prefered that locale names do not use a country name at all,
unless it is necessary to distinguish between countries.
  LC_COLLATE is sometimes region/country dependent.
Agreed for "region". "Country" here is only a corner case, that happens
to distinguish correctly in some cases (for example, Korea), but does
not adequately in other cases. As a practical example of something
impractical, there are currently two widely used collating order for
Spanish ("Castilian" as we say here): the "traditional" order, which is
by far prefered in Spain (even if it is not any more the "official"
one according to the RAE), so is likely to be tagged "es_ES". Great so
far. But the "other" is used just everywhere, including as I just say
in Spain. So there is no really good POSIX designation to used then :-(.

Similar pains comes with English. OTOH, you may encounter variations
_inside_ a country, which may ask for a finer grain. (An example is
Occitan inside France, which is not standardized. There are surely
others.)

In addition, differences between zh_* in LC_MESSAGES are not
trivial.
AFAIK, Hong Kong is now part of CN. Still, they use "Traditional
Chinese". So what are we doing then?  ;-)

Antoine