On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> aplications explicitly at present, and automatic support for
> Cyrillic, Greek, Armenian, or Hindi doesn't help Japanese users
> much.

   Automatic support for Hindi? Hmm, do I live in a world
different from yours?  It's NOT CJ(K) BUT Hindi, Tibetan, Arabic, Hebrew,
Bengali, pre-1933 Korean, Polytonic Greek (and Latin/Cyrillic with diacritic
marks for which combining characters are necessary) and other complex
scripts that have the largest wish list. Pango has supports for some
Indic scripts and Thai script, but it doesn't yet support layout of
Greek/Cyrillic/Latin with opentype layout tables.

> out a way to funnel IME input through the normal character input
> calls, we might well achieve CJK support in the majority of
> apps.

  Well right now, the majority of programs in modern Linux
distros DO  work well with CJK IMEs. In case of gtk2 applications,
they also work well with any gtk2 input modules including
those for CJK.  Of course, this doesn't mean that there's
very little to  do when it comes to CJ(K) support, but
I don't share Kubota-san's concern.

  Jungshik