On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Edward H. Trager wrote:

> On Wednesday 2003.12.17 00:24:54 +0900, Jungshik Shin wrote:
> > Edward H. Trager wrote:

> > >In Edit|Preferences|Appearance|Fonts, Mozilla provides options for
> > >specifying fonts
> > >for various script encodings, so you should be able to fine tune exactly
> > >which fonts
> > >get used.
> >
> > Mozilla's font selection
> > menu is NOT per 'font encoding' BUT per 'langGroup' (which had better be
> > called
> > 'script group').  Only in Mozilla-X11core build,  the loose mapping between
> > 'font encodings' (XLFD-based) and 'langGroups' exists.
> >

> I wish I understood this better!
> What exactly does "langGroup" or "scriptGroup" mean in Mozilla?  Can you point me to

 'scriptGroup' is just a term coined by me that I believe is better than
'langGroup' because it's not languages but scripts that are relevant
here. 'langGroup's in Mozilla include 'Western', 'Central European',
'Japanese', 'Cyrillic', 'Arabic', 'Hebrew', 'Tamil', 'Devanagari',
and so forth (just what you see in the font-selection dialog).

> a URL that explains exactly how Mozilla does these things, and how that might
> be different from, say, the xft/fontconfig way of doing things?

  I tried to explain it in my long email you quoted in your previous
email apparently without reading it. Maybe not very clearly, but my
two emails (before your first email in this thread) answered most of
your questions.

> Clearly, from a user's perspective I was led to believe something
> possibly quite different about these dialogs in Mozilla.

  What did you believe was the case? Then, I'll go from there if
necessary.

  Jungshik