On Friday 2004.11.12 20:09:49 +0100, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 07:43:16PM +0100, Bruno Haible wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > gcc-3.4's documentation contains the following:
> >
> > `-fexec-charset=CHARSET'
>
> Gee, these are really there in gcc 3.4, but not yet in 3.3. Seems it's time
> for an upgrade :-)
>
> > The portable solution is to use gettext:
> >
> >      printf("%s\n", gettext ("Schoene Gruesse"));
> > or   printf("%s\n", gettext ("Greetings"));
>
> Yes, I know... I just wanted a quick solution for a self-hacked utility
> which works perfectly both in Latin-2 and in UTF-8 but I didn't want to mess
> with additional files and stuff like that... but it seems still gettext is
> the easiest way to go.

I have a production-level legacy program that has a moderate level of
internationalization
but does not use "gettext".  The program inspects the locale to see if it is a
UTF-8 locale.
If it is, the internationalized message strings are used: UTF-8 strings for
different
languages are isolated in one ".c" file.  The program contains code to select
the appropriate
language strings.  If the locale is not a UTF-8 locale, the program falls back
to the
default POSIX C locale with English-only messages.  Well, in my opinion this
solution is
not as good as using gettext(), but for a legacy program that has to compile
and work properly
even on platforms that don't support libintl/gettext (like OpenBSD and Cygwin),
this was
a solution that was easy to implement into the legacy code that originally had
no concept of
internationalization at all.  Of course a major assumption of this solution is
that if you
do have a modern platform with good internationalization, then you should be
using a UTF-8
locale and not some legacy encoding.  The documentation for the program makes
this very clear.

-- Ed Trager