On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
> The problem is that when you press a backspace in talk, it's not the whole
> new line that is sent across the network, but an ascii 8 or 127, and the
> other party has to interpret it, which, of course, has no notion of keyboard
> handler, doesn't know how the sender typed those characters. Of course one
> may say it's a protocol-specific question not discussed by the Unicode
> standards...

Exactly.  Just what *is* talk sending across the wire?  It's not
keystrokes, not really, not if we're talking about UTF-8, where the
encoding typically will differ considerably from the keystrokes needed to
enter it.  It's a protocol of some kind, and somebody needs to define how
that protocol works and what its backspace operation does.  Unicode
assigns no semantics to codes 8 and 127.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]