On Monday 2005.01.10 23:03:58 +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:35:26PM -0500, Edward H. Trager wrote:
>
> > First, I think the Linux developer community needs to think very *broadly*
> > to include all scripts defined in Unicode 4.1.  It is not good enough to
> > only be
> > able to handle Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic, even if one can solve the
> > problem
> > with accented characters for Latin/Greek/Cyrillic.  Ideally the console
> > would be able to handle CJK, Arabic, Syriac, Devanagari, Bengali, Myanmar,
> > Tibetan, and
> > Mongolian UTF-8 as deftly as it can handle Latin.
>
> A funny letter. Someone complains about a comparitively small
> issue that is not very difficult to fix, and you come with
> the wise advice "first implement support for all languages
> and all alphabets of the world".
> Your letter can be summarised as saying "forget about improving
> the console code". Wonder whether it is that you intended.

Not at all, Andries.  When I, you, or anyone sits down to write a program --any
program--
it is always a good idea to figure out what kind of foundation will be needed to
support future expansion in functionality.  So, maybe today I can only implement
the part that provides correct support for diacritics on Latin/Greek/Cyrillic.
But in order to avoid having to do an additional re-write from scratch in the
future
to support Devanagari, Vocalized Arabic, Hebrew with Cantillation, and Myanmar,
sit down and learn as much as I can about those scripts and the Unicode-related
issues with those scripts today, even though I won't get to actual full support
for some
of those scripts until some future date.

So what I really intended to say was please think about what kind of
infrastructure
you should put into the foundation so that support for Devanagari, Vocalized
Arabic, and
Burmese will be easy to do in the future.