Kaixo!

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:37:20AM -0800, rajeev joseph sebastian wrote:

> What I need to do is, be able to decide the order of
> languages and also to includes other locales.

You mean the order of *scripts* I suppose?

> In detail:
>
> I am writing an ml_IN (Malayalam, India) locale,
> (currently testing collation). With the collation
> specification, I made based on others, I installed the
> locale, and started using it.
>
> But I noticed that in Konqueror filemanager, English
> file names are sorted after (in ascending order of
> length of the string), and after the correctly sorted
> Malayalam file names.
>
> I think, this is because in the collation
> specification, the last symbol in the order is
> UNDEFINED, and  I have not defined the order for latin
> characters.

How exactly did you defined LC_COLLATE?

defining everythign in ml_IN is a bad idea; the best to do
is to include defautl sorting order and only change (if needed)
the sorting of a few letters.

> So - how do I include the system collation spec for
> say en_US into my ml_IN and still retain my collation
> for malayalam ? Can I also include multiple locales
> (say for hi_IN, mr_IN, etc)

you can only include one AFAIK;
but there could be a pan-indian file defining the right
ordering for all indian scripts (or at least a good default
for them).

What are the differences of a proper malayalam sorting
compared with just following unicode order?

Can your ml_IN be downloaded somewhere?

Thanks

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/          PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]