Werner LEMBERG wrote:
What about using bitmap-only TrueType fonts, as planned by the X
Windows people?
Could you direct me to good information? I have serious doubts but
I'd at least like to read what they have to say.

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/xfree86-bitmap-fonts.html

I don't know the current status of such fonts w.r.t. X Windows.

Quite frankly it doesn't matter it FontForge supports a bitmap font
format because "xbitmap" is the ideal tool for making bitmap fonts.

Please give an URL.  Another good bitmap font editor is xmbdfed from
Mark Leisher.

Actually xmbdfed (Motif based) is no longer maintained, but it still works. The latest version is http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/gbdfed.html (GTK+ based). I plan on adding the ability to create bitmap-only OTF fonts to gbdfed, but haven't had time and it looks like I won't have time for a few months yet.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab             Nowadays, the common wisdom is to
New Mexico State University        celebrate diversity - as long as you
Box 30001, MSC 3CRL                don't point out that people are
Las Cruces, NM  88003              different.    -- Colin Quinn