On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:06:23PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> I am beginning to think that the responsibility for correct
> "combining accents" behaviour rests primarily with the rendering
> engine, rather than with the fonts. The fonts must, of course,
> include the combining accents, otherwise the accents will be
> borrowed from other fonts; but I doubt that they really need
> anchors or GPOS.
>
> E.g. say I am a rendering engine; I see a character which, from
> its Unicode range, is either
>
> -- a "top" accent
> -- a "bottom" accent
> [-- a left accent if such things exist, a right accent, etc.,]

In Hebrew, a dagesh is a dot centered in the glyph to double
the consonant or change the pronunciation.

The precise place where it should go must be indicated by the font.
If one just centers a dot in the same area, it may well be
(and in practice, in my Java experiments, is) invisible
because it overlaps part of the glyph.

Andries