Benjamin C. Wiley Sittler wrote:

I think copying the character is correct behavior. To achieve line-breaking control without copy-n-paste artifacts, use CSS:

     .word:after {
         content: '\200b';
     }
 class="word">/baz</span>

If you want the same behavior in msie, you'll need to insert <wbr /> elements at the end of each span.

Thanks very much for this. I did not know about the wbr element; it works both in msie and in Mozilla c.s. Rather useful I think, but it is not standard; if I use it my page is no longer validated as 'correct' HTML by W3C.

So I'll go the route with CSS. It is a lot more work, and msie (even version 7) ignores it, but I'll just leave the msie users to fend for themselves I think.

Regards, Jan