On 4/17/07, Rich Felker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It really depends on the intended audience of the fonts. The original
> intention for those double width Greek and Cyrillic characters is to
> make them align nicely with all other CJK characters. Then there are
> no such thing as wide Greek/Cyrillic characters and wide version of
> some other symbols in Unicode, so font designers in Asia are forced
> to make them wide and map them to narrow ones, since they must
> support legacy encoding for commercial or whatever reason.

This is only an issue on character-cell devices which use wcwidth.

I'm exactly talking about those apps, like terminals.

Yes, PUA is very bad. I wouldn't be opposed to designating a certain
portion of the PUA as "wide", but I question whether using the PUA on
charcell devices is even needed.

Needn't question about that, it is ALWAYS needed, just that its usage
is bad for quite a lot of people.

Think about languages that has not migrated fully into Unicode yet.
Without PUA, people simply dumps Unicode and use whatever works
for them. And think about backward compatibility.

> Not to mention some characters would never have the
> chance to enter Unicode.

We can debate whether things like the Apple™(r) symbol are characters or
not all we like, but can you come up with things that should
legitimately be wide (i.e. ideographs) which have no chance to enter
Unicode?

Certain there are, say some belonging to Taiwan CNS11643, which
is regarded as variation of existing character in Unicode. And there
are other symbols and characters not accepted in unicode, not
necessarily wide. Though I must admit usage of those would certainly
be quite rare.

Abel

Rich

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF
* GNOME Hong Kong - http://www.gnome.hk/
* Opensource Application Knowledge Assoc. - http://oaka.org/
* My own cave: http://me.abelcheung.org/