* Jan Willem Stumpel [2007-10-11 16:57]:
> This is of course very good news. But does this also guarantee
> that the psili/dasia definitions in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gr
> and in /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose will, from now
> on, always agree?

Well, I believe that this disagreement was caused by the fact that no
keysyms were obviously the correct ones for dead psili and dasia. People
saw the original dead_horn and dead_ogonek, which as you said was an
ugly hack, and decided to fix them by using U0313 and U0314 instead. But
this wasn't correct either, since these are not *function* keysyms,
which should be used for dead keys, but correspond to printable Unicode
characters, albeit combining ones. Also this didn't work if they didn't
agree with the Compose file, or with the internal composition tables in
GTK+. So, others saw this problem, and tried to revert the change or fix
it another way (the U10000313 stuff is probably confusion created by the
fact that UXXXX = 0x01000000 + 0x0000XXXX).

Hopefully, all places where the old hacks appeared will now converge to
the new definitions, but of course somebody has to submit the patches
and make sure that everything's consistent. The only problem I can think
of is that the new keysyms can't be used before systems are upgraded to
xproto-7.0.11 - I see that Debian Sid already has it.

I'll post a notice about the new definitions to the Greek I18N list,
to raise awareness of them.

Regards,
Alexandros

--
Alexandros Diamantidis * [EMAIL PROTECTED]