Hi James,

>  so after spending the last few hours messing with the UVC code trying
> to get this to work, it's loading but I need help.

Just out of curiosity, what modifications have you made to the driver to get
the camera detected ? Having a look at the descriptors, the device shouldn't
require an entry in the USB IDs list.

> UVC is getting the
> formats fine and it creates /dev/video0, but no program I've tried
> works. I can't install sdl-dev at the moment (damn dependencies) which
> means I've not tried luvcview, I'll get around to that asap.

There is a command line capture program called uvccapture, you could try it.

> I'm a c/c++ programmer by profession and I'm happy to put in some effort
> to get this working, but I don't really know where to start. What I
> should be looking for? Any pointers would be great.

What happens when you run Ekiga ? The dmesg log doesn't show anything wrong. I
assume it fails, but you didn't give any error message or failure
description.

> I've attached the lsusb -v output for reference. The dmesg output is
> also attached. The first part is just uvc loading, then ekiga followed
> by kopete and a gst test. This is the command line I tried for gst and
> it's corresponding output:
>
> ~/dev/linux_uvc/trunk $ gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src use-fixed-fps=false !
> video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
> ERROR: from element /pipeline0/v4l2src0: Could not negotiate format
> Additional debug info:
> gstbasesrc.c(1730): gst_base_src_start (): /pipeline0/v4l2src0:
> Check your filtered caps, if any
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> FREEING pipeline ...
>

> Something I noticed, in the lsusb output bColorPrimaries is sRGB and I
> would have expected yuv. Will that cause a problem if gst is looking for
> yuv? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

The bColorPrimaries isn't related to the frame format, so it isn't a problem
in itself. However, the camera supports MJPEG only. It can't stream YUV
images.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart