I doubt that they'll take it back as long as it works fine on Windows.
Unfortunately there's no Penguin on the box. ;-)

> Is there a recommended
> alternative that doesn't have the dreadful bug?

I have no experience with other UVC cameras so far but future models should
not have the same problems anymore. Also, be sure to check this mailing list
in the future as well as its archive. There were a few patches posted that
resolved/alleviated the problem.

Cheers,
Martin