Hi Lasse,

On Monday 27 August 2007, Lasse Kärkkäinen wrote:
> I am getting frequent crashes with this camera. The kernel log contains
> various USB errors (a crash always leads to all USB devices reseting,
> but the camera stays dead afterwards until next reboot). The program
> that was using the camera cannot be killed. The LED on my USB hub on the
> port with the camera on it is blinking after the crash (other LEDs are
> off, if no device is connected, or on if a device works). Connecting the
> camera to some other USB port does not help, it still gives a blinking LED.

Sounds quite serious :-/

> It is possible that I (a) have generic USB issues, not related to UVC at
> all, or that (b) all UVC cameras have the same issue (I don't have any
> others to test).

I'd vote for generic USB issues. The webcam might crash, but it shouldn't
bring the whole USB subsystem down.

Have you tried connecting the webcam to the computer directly ?

> P.S. for anybody considering buying this camera - DO NOT. The picture
> quality is not very good, but the auto focus is a real problem. It keeps
> refocusing the image, even though it is already in focus. The focusing
> does not focus directly, but instead runs the focus servo from one end
> to the other, very slowly. Because of this, your image will be blurry
> most of the time even at 320x240. And the optics are so bad that the
> focus does not only focus, but also zooms a bit while doing it.

There are others Optia AF Linux users here and nobody reported that kind of
issue. Not that I don't believe you, but other people might not experience
the same problems (or they just never reported it). Have you tried the webcam
with Windows ? I wonder if the driver plays a part in the autofocus process.

> The Logitech 2 megapixel camera (Quickcam Pro for Notebooks, I think)
> has in every way far superior image quality and the device costs about
> the same as this Creative crap. However, it, too, has one important
> drawback - it scans the image a line at a time (not a frame at a time),
> so you get ugly distortion whenever anything in the image (or the camera
> itself) moves. Creative does not have this problem, but its other issues
> are still far worse than that.

Most webcams have rolling shutters. Global electronic shutters are more
expensive, and thus less likely to be found in webcams.

> Can anyone recommend a truly good webcam? I am looking for high frame
> rates at high resolutions (VGA is not acceptable), good optics, etc.
> Ethernet is optimal, USB2 and FW/FW800 are OK (as long as they work in
> Linux). The price roof is around 300 €.

You're not looking for a webcam but for a good digital video camera. Most USB
devices use cheap sensors. There are probably high-end USB cameras but I have
no experience with them.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart