Hi Lars,

On Friday 07 December 2007 11:12, Lars Schimmer wrote:
> Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > - Skype could stop streaming, change the frame rate and restart
> > streaming. Ditto about the webcam crash.
> >
> > It would be interesting to write a small application to stress-test
> > different use cases and see what works before making modifications to
> > Skype or to the driver.
>
> Just a sidenote, as I see it nearly in every place:
> Is skype THE standard, teh reference to test upon?
> As I see, most people say: skype for Linux with video is out! And my
> webcam doesn't work, so, driver team, change the driver, make it work
> with skype!
>
> In my eyes, skype is the bad boy who is not working 100% correct and the
> skype team has to change it, but since skype is out, nearly everyone
> measures against skype and think "skype is perfect and bugfree", seems
> to be...

I can't agree more with you. I don't treat Skype-related issues differently
than other issues. If the driver is at fault because it doesn't implement a
feature according to the V4L2 spec, I will try to fix it. On the other hand,
if the application behaves incorrectly, I won't be able to look at its source
code so I tell users to report the problem to Skype technical support.

As far as I'm concerned, Skype is a second-class citizen that I don't care
much about. If it works, fine, but if it doesn't I'm definitely not going to
add workarounds to the driver.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart