On Thursday 20 December 2007, Thomas Netter wrote:
> Hi Laurent and UVC developers,
>
> I'm starting to give a close look at luvcview failures when using Xacti
> cameras with UVC. I'm new to UVC so any help would be greatly appreciated.
> The problem was initially described by Lars Täuber with the Sanyo HD 1000:
> http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2007-September/002145.htm
>l To summarize: luvcview works on the first execute-quit sequence but fails
> if you try to execute luvcview again. I tried plugging Lars Täuber's code
> snippet into uvc_driver.c but that had no visible effect.
>
> I'm experiencing the same problem with a Xacti C6. I also have access to
> Xacti C4, HD 1000, and HD 2 cameras to test on other models.
>
> Device numbers:
> Xacti HD 1000: 0474:0238
> Xacti C6:      0474:0241
>
> Below are logs obtained with SnoopyPro-022 while starting AMCap video
> capture on Windows XP ( http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=video )
> These logs track the following sequence:
> - Start Amcap
> - Capture 2 to 3 seconds of 320x240 video
> - Quit Amcap
> - Wait a few seconds
> - Start Amcap
> - Capture 2 to 3 seconds of 320x240 video
> - Quit Amcap
>
> Log from "video device":
> Snoopy binary log: http://www.ailab.ch/~tnetter/USBLog12.usblog
> Text version: http://www.ailab.ch/~tnetter/log12.txt.gz
>
> Simultaneous log from "composite device":
> Snoopy binary log: http://www.ailab.ch/~tnetter/USBLog13.usblog
> Text version: http://www.ailab.ch/~tnetter/log13.txt.gz
>
> Here's what happens in Ubuntu 7.10, linux 2.6.22-14-generic,
> uvcvideo-r104, luvcview-20070512 (tried both from SVN and from deb
> package).
>
> First attempt works:
> sudo ./luvcview
> luvcview version 0.2.1
> Video driver: x11
> A window manager is available
> video /dev/video0
> Stop asked
>  Clean Up done Quit
>
> Second attempt fails:
> sudo ./luvcview
> luvcview version 0.2.1
> Video driver: x11
> A window manager is available
> video /dev/video0
> Unable to set format: 5.
>  Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal
>
> If I unplug and replug the camera into the USB port then luvcview
> works again for one more attempt.
>
> Any help / hints are welcome.

Thanks a lot for the logs. Unfortunately I won't be able to look at them
before January 7th as I'll be away next week. I'll try to debug the problem
when I'll come back.

In the meantime, could you generate a log on Linux that includes the two
luvcview runs ? In a nutshell, to use usbmon:

mount -t debug none /sys/kernel/debug
cat /sys/kernel/debug/usbmon/<busnr>t > usbmon.dump

You will need debugfs and usbmon support in your kernel.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart